The research team deals with various aspects connected to the economics, policy and management of innovation and technological change, and represents a world centre of excellence in the field. The current research areas covered by the team are the following: Globalization of Science, Technology and Innovation; and The Effects of the Financial Crisis on Innovation.
The taxonomy put forward by Daniele Archibugi and Jonathan Michie in 1995 has been further developed by several scholars belonging to different disciplinary backgrounds and countries. The research team, in collaboration with Simona Iammarino and Carlo Pietrobelli, has further explored the implications of the taxonomy for developing and emerging countries and for innovation policies. More recently, Daniele Archibugi and Andrea Filippetti have investigated the rising globalization of the intellectual property rights. The state-of-the-art of convergence in technological capabilities in the world economy is currently investigated by Andrea Filippetti and Antonio Peyrache.
Over the last two yearw this reseaerch team has investigated the effects that the current global crisis is having on innovation. This research has combined data from the Innobarometer Survey of the European Commission, and data developed within the European Innovation Scoreboard project. Two papers have been accepted by ISI Journals, while two other papers are under review. Andrea Filippetti and Daniele Archibugi are currently writing a book for Routledge on the same issue.
This research team has established several collaborations with other colleagues and institutions, such as the University of London, Birkbeck College, the Science and Technology Policy Research Unit (SPRU) of the University of Sussex, the “Productivity Centre” of the Queensland University in Australia, the European Commission – DG Research and DG Enterprises and Industry, the “European Association for Evolutionary Political Economy”, the “Schumpeter Society”, United Nations University – MERIT Institute in Maastricht.
The ongoing research projects are the following:
|Globalization of science, technology and innovation||Daniele Archibugi (CNR & Birkbeck College), Kim Bizzarri (University,of Strathclyde), Andrea Filippetti (ISSIRFA-CNR & Birkbeck,College), Marion Frenz (Birkbeck College), Grazia Ietto-Gillies,(Birkbeck College), Simona Iammarino (London School of Economics),,Monica Plechero (CIRCLE, Lund University & CNR)|
|Globalization of intellectual property rights||Daniele Archibugi (CNR & Birkbeck College), Andrea Filippetti (ISSIRFA-CNR & Birkbeck College)|
|Theory and measurement of innovation and technological change. Impact of innovation on economic growth and economic development||Daniele Archibugi (CNR), Fulvio Castellacci (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs), Giovanni Cerulli (CERIS-CNR), Alberto Coco (Banca d’Italia), Rinaldo Evangelista (Università di Camerino), Andrea Filippetti (ISSIFA-CNR& Birkbeck College), Mario Denni (Autorità Garante della Concorrenza e del Mercato), Antonio Peyrache (University of Queensland), Giorgio Sirilli (CNR)|
|Innovation in industrial design||Andrea Filippetti (ISSIFA-CNR & Birkbeck College)|
|The effects of the crisis on innovation||Andrea Filippetti (ISSIFA-CNR & Birkbeck College), Daniele Archibugi (CNR & Birkbeck College), Marion Frenz (Birkbeck College), Frederick Guy (Birkbeck College)|
|The globalization of technology and developing countries||Monica Plechero (CIRCLE, Lund University & CNR)|
- Daniele Archibugi e Andrea Filippetti, (a cura di), The Handbook of Global Science, Technology and Innovation, (Wiley, 2015). ISBN 978-1-118-73906-8.
- Daniele Archibugi and Andrea Filippetti, The Globalization of Intellectual Property Rights. Much Ado About Nothing?, in Maximilian Mayer, Mariana Carpes and Ruth Knoblich (eds), The Global Politics of Science and Technology: Concepts and Perspectives, 2014.
- Daniele Archibugi, Andrea Filippetti and Marion Frenz, The impact of the economic crisis on innovation: Evidence from Europe, “Technological Forcasting and Social Change”, 2013.
- Cristina Chaminade and Monica Plechero, Do Regions Make a Difference? Regional Innovation Systems and Global Innovation Networks in the ICT Industry. European Planning Studies, in corso di pubblicazione.
- Ping Lv, Monica Plechero and Rakesh Basant, International Competitive Strategy Choices: Comparing Firms in China and India. Asian Pacific Business Review, vol 19, no. 4, 2013 pp. 542-558.
- Monica Plechero and Cristina Chaminade, The influence of micro-characteristics in different modes of globalization of innovation: A comparative study of Indian (Pune) and Chinese (Beijing) firms. Industry and Innovation, vol 20, no. 7,2013, pp. 661-682.
- Daniele Archibugi, Andrea Filippetti and Marion Frenz, Economic crisis and innovation: is destruction prevailing over accumulation? Research Policy, 2012.
- Daniele Archibugi and Andrea Filippetti Is the Economic Crisis Impairing Convergence in Innovation Performance across Europe?, “Journal of Common Market Studies”, vol. 49, no. 6, 2011, pp. 1153–1182.
- Andrea Filippetti and Daniele Archibugi, Innovation in Times of Crisis: National System of Innovation, Structure and Demand, Research Policy, vol. 40, 2011, pp. 179–192.
- Daniele Archibugi and Andrea Filippetti, The Globalization of Intellectual Property Rights. Four Learned Lessons and Four Theses, Journal of Global Policy, vol. 1, issue 2, May 2010, pp. 137-149.
A complete list of publications can be found within the CV of Daniele Archibugi.