Italian immigration differs clearly from the experience of the traditional immigration countries, such as Belgium, France and the United Kingdom. Until recently, rigorous analyses of the immigrant settlement process in Italy have been very difficult due to the lack of adequate data. However, in the last decade, socio-economic surveys have made it possible to document the existence of strong and pervasive inequalities in the life chances of native and foreign populations. The availability of new data sources now makes it possible to deepen some key areas and integrate the available analyses on socio-economic and socio-cultural processes.
The PRIN project ‘Immigration, integration, settlement. Italian-Style’ – “(Project of Relevant National Interest – PRIN 2017: 2017N9LCSC_003)” coordinated by Giuseppe Sciortino (University of Trento), brings together experts of migration and the integration of immigrants from different scientific-disciplinary fields and it aims to provide a broad and systematic analysis of the settlement process of immigrants in society Italian.
The main objective of the IRPPS-CNR research unit is to deepen the analysis of international and internal migration trajectories of immigrants, their effect on the processes of their stabilization, circular mobility and mobility/immobility following their arrival in Italy, taking into account the different phases of their life cycle and the changing contexts in recent years. To this end, the activities are directed towards various lines of study. They are taking into account that the prolonged Italian economic crisis, the arrival of refugees and, in recent months, the Covid-19 pandemic require an overall redefinition of the interpretative lines of the reality of immigration in Italy.
Briefly, the topics addressed through the activities of the IRPPS-CNR Research Unite:
– The migration and citizenship paths in Italy in the last decade, combining census information, traditional statistics and administrative archives to get to a quantitative redefinition of immigration and emigration flows (in collaboration with Istat and unit of the University of Naples Federico II);
– The Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on migration trajectories;
– Regularisation and migratory dynamics (in collaboration with the unit of the University of Naples Federico II);
– The integration trajectories and way of entry: differences and similarities through the analysis of the Istat Survey ‘Condition and Social Integration of Foreign Citizens’, 2011-2012;
– The changes and stability of migration projects during the migration to Italy, through data from the Istat Survey ‘Condition and Social Integration of Foreign Citizens’, 2011-2012 (in collaboration with the University of Milan Bicocca unit);
– The foreign communities between segregation and dispersion, with particular consideration of the metropolitan areas of Rome and Milan (in collaboration with Istat and the University of Milan Bicocca and the University of Naples Federico II units);
– The trajectories of integration of immigrants into the labour market depending on the cohort of arrival;
– The role of the language proficiency in the integration processes (in collaboration with the University of Naples Federico II unit).
Corrado Bonifazi, Maria Girolama Caruso, Massimiliano Crisci, Stefano degli Uberti, Frank Heins, Angela Paparusso, Andrea Pelliccia, Antonio Sanguinetti and Mattia Vitiello
Bonifazi, C., Conti, C., Sanguinetti, A., & Strozza, S. (2021). La pandemia di Covid-19 e le migrazioni internazionali in Italia. Studi Emigrazioni, 221, 41-56.
Bonifazi, C., De Rocchi, D., & Panzeri, G. (2020). Integration of migrants in the Italian labour market. In: S. Przytula & L. Sulkowski (eds.), Integration of migrants into the labour market in Europe (Advanced Series in Management, Vol. 25). Bingley: Emerald Publishing Limited, 65-80. .
Bonifazi, C. & Strozza, S. (2020). La regolarizzazione del 2020: un primo quadro dei risultati. In: F. Carchedi & J.-R. Bilongo (eds.), Agromafie e caporalato. Quinto Rapporto, Osservatorio Placido Rizzotto Flai-Cgil, Roma: Ediesse, 47-64.
Bonifazi, C. & Strozza, S. (2020). La regolarizzazione al tempo del coronavirus. Neodemos, 22 September 2020.
Bonifazi, C. & Strozza, S. (2020). Un primo bilancio della regolarizzazione. Neodemos, 29 May 2020.
Benassi, F., Bonifazi, C., Heins, F., Lipizzi, F. & Strozza, S. (2020). Comparing residential segregation of migrant populations in selected European urban and metropolitan areas. Spatial Demography, 8, 269-290.
Bonifazi, C., Buonomo, A., Paparusso, A., Strozza S. & Vitiello, M. (2019). La conoscenza dell’italiano nei processi di integrazione. In: M. E. Cadeddu & C. Marras (eds.), Plurilinguismo e Migrazioni. Linguaggi, ricerca, comunicazione. Focus Cnr. Roma: CNR Edizioni, 97-114.
Paparusso, A. & Vitiello, M. Immigrants who entered Italy irregularly and immigrants who entered regularly: which trajectories of integration? PAA 2021 Annual Meeting (virtual), 5-8 May 2021.