The “ECM – DATA VALUE” project is conceived as a follow-up to the much broader project “Continuing Medical Education” (years 2009-2011), which was implemented within the framework of the CNR – Regione Lazio Agreement for professional updating (Continuing Education) of Free Choice Paediatricians of the Regione Lazio and coordinated by the CNR Training Co-funded Programs Office.
This follow-up is funded by the same Regione Lazio fund as the previous “Continuing Medical Education” project for Free Choice Paediatricians and is inserted in the Institute’s “Population, society, science, culture and globalization” Project Area [DUS.AD012].
The overall duration of the “ECM – DATA VALUE” project is planned from 1 February 2018 to 31 December 2022
Beneficiaries of this intervention are health service operators, particularly Healthcare Managers, Heads of Departments, Heads of Complex Operational Units and Simple Operational Units, Administrative Managers of Healthcare facilities
The project, with its materials developed and publications produced over the years, aims at them, with the intent of offering, primarily to the medical staff, a contribution to the culture of data enhancement and exploitation
In the previous – first – year (2018-2019) of the project, we accomplished an intervention to promote information literacy in the medical sector.
The Leader Manager had observed three areas for improvement in the course of previous scientific activities in the health field:
• understanding of the cognitive potential that information systems in the availability of medical doctors offer;
• mastery of the concepts and techniques of personalized processing;
• awareness of the growing attention and binding legislation for data privacy and security.
 “Continuing Medical Education” – ECM: professional updating of Free Choice Paediatricians of the Regione Lazio; client Regione Lazio (over 450 registered participants, about 18 thousand participant-hours of training used, budget of over 1 million euros, participant learning indicator equal to 93%, course evaluation indicator equal to 4.0-4, 3 out of 5).
The publication “VALORIZATION AND PROTECTION OF CLINICAL DATA FOR THE MEDICAL SECTOR” was produced at the end of this first year, in order to consolidate, make available and disseminate what was developed during the study.
It looks at the three observed areas of improvement and wants to be at the same time:
• a depiction of the present state;
• a conceptual and operational aid to improve the information literacy of medical doctors, aimed at the major aspects of enhancing, exploiting and protecting clinical data.
The body of the book comprises three sections:
“SECTION I: INFORMATION LITERACY”
• information literacy;
• information literacy in healthcare.
“SECTION II: VALORIZATION OF CLINICAL DATA”
• eHealth and Big Data;
• information system of clinical data and the Electronic Medical Record [EMR];
• design of clinical data with definition criteria, temporal variations of values, classifications and lists of values, criticalities and actions for quality;
• criticalities and potentialities of introducing computer science in the ward and related “research questions”.
“SECTION III: PROTECTION OF CLINICAL DATA”
• privacy and security regulations with remarks and comments;
• examples, remarks and comments on implementation methods of organizational and technical protection measures.
The book also includes:
• BIBLIOGRAPHY-SITOGRAPHY” divided by subject and briefly annotated and
• selected «APPENDICES», to offer the typical reader some cognitive and informative references.
We also established an orderly repository of over three thousand sources, including:
• references to basic materials for the different sectors of interest of the Project, produced by national, EU and international bodies (national and EU regulations, standards, concepts, terms, basic notions, …);
• references to precise conceptual and operational materials, produced by national, EU and international bodies (research, studies, application developments,…).
In this second year (2020-2021) of the Project, we accomplished a study on social, technical and organizational aspects of new information processing technologies applied to the health sector; we centred the study on the two themes “BIG DATA” and “DECISIONAL SYSTEMS”, which are clearly prominent in our field of interest.
The next publication “VALORIZATION OF DATA IN HEALTHCARE: BIG DATA AND DECISION-MAKING SYSTEMS” will be produced at the beginning of 2021 in order to consolidate, make available and disseminate what was developed during the year.
The body of the book will comprise three sections:
“SECTION I: NEW SKILLS / SOFT SKILLS”
• as necessary professional prerequisites, also drawing on national, EU and international declaratory and programmatic materials;
• >data literacy
• data literacy in healthcare.
“SECTION II: BIG DATA”
• as database with its own peculiarities; specific professionalism; specific theories and technologies;
• technical, social and economic aspects;
• national and community policies and programs.
“SECTION III: DECISION-MAKING SYSTEMS”
• as technological tools exploiting big data;
• for risk assessment, for prevention / diagnosis / therapy applications.
In the continuance of the project, we intend to accomplish a third year of study and produce a further publication, the content of which is already outlined in continuation of the second year.
We also intend to develop a training package for a “Continuing Medical Education” course, with entrance and exit tests, specific teaching material, additional in-depth and reference materials, and to propose such training package to health bodies, trade associations, institutions.
Massimo Cannatà, Fabio Caiazzo, Marco Calcagno, Marco Di Girolamo, Benedetta Lupoli, Andrea Manieri, Roberto Marzilli, Sara Nardini, Arnaldo Sardoni, Vincenzo Scotto di Palumbo, Aikaterini Selntigia, Filippo M. Vinciguerra.