Gennaro Clemente, born on 28 June 1960, in Salerno (Italy).
1989: Graduated in Medicine from the “La Sapienza” University in Rome, Italy.
1993: PhD in Liver Diseases and Metabolic Disorders from the “La Sapienza” University in Rome, Italy.
1998: Post-graduate Epidemiology and Statistics course at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam (The Netherlands).
1999: Visiting researcher at the Department of Chronic Diseases and Environmental Epidemiology of the Dutch National Institute of Public Health and Environment (RIVM) in Bilthoven (The Netherlands), acquiring expertise on the relationship between saturated fatty acid intake and the onset of reduced glucose tolerance and/or diabetes, under the supervision of Dr Edith Feskens.
1992-2010: Researcher at the National Research Council (CNR) in the Human Nutrition and Metabolism Section of the Food Science Institute in Avellino.
2011 to date: Researcher at the National Research Council (CNR) in the Human Nutrition and Metabolism Section at the Italian National Research Council Institute for Research on Population and Social Policies in Fisciano (Salerno).
2009-2013: Member of the Association of Medical Diabetologists (AMD) research and study centre and national counsellor for the AMD Foundation.
2012 – to date: Adjunct professor in Physiology of Nutrition on the Post-Graduate Course in Human Nutrition Science at the “Federico II” University Medical School in Naples.
2013/2017: National coordinator of AMD Diabetes and Oncology Group.
2017 to date: Member of the national group of AMD Annals and consultant for the AMD-AIOM (Italian Medical Oncology Association) intersociety group on “Diabetes and Tumours”.
Principal investigator in the project on “Efficacy on the main risk factors of an intensive educational project aimed at promoting a Mediterranean dietary model among Italian Fiat Chrysler Automobile employees”, in collaboration with the “Federico II” University in Naples.
Expertise in Nutritional Epidemiology with reference to the relationship between food and cardiovascular diseases in women (FATA), in ultrasound evaluation of the main mechanisms in the action of soluble fibre on gastric emptying, as well in the influence of gastric emptying on glucose and lipid metabolism, in healthy individuals and in those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
• Gallo M, Gentile L, Arvat E, Bertetto O, Clemente G, Diabetology and Oncology meet in a network model: union is strength Acta Diabetologica 2016 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]
• Vitale M, Masulli M, Cocozza S, Anichini R, Babini AC, Boemi M, Bonora E, Buzzetti R, Carpinteri R, Caselli C, Ceccarelli E, Cignarelli M, Citro G, Clemente G, Consoli A, Corsi L, De Gregorio A, Di Bartolo P, Di Cianni G, Fontana L, Garofolo M, Giorda CB, Giordano C, Grioni S, Iovine C, Longhitano S, Mancastroppa G, Mazzucchelli C, Montani V, Mori M, Perriello G, Rinaldi ME, Ruffo MC, Salvi L, Sartore G, Scaranna C, Tonutti L, Zamboni C, Zogheri A, Krogh V, Cappellini F, Signorini S, Riccardi G, Vaccaro O; on behalf of the TOSCA.IT Study Group: Sex differences in food choices, adherence to dietary recommendations and plasma lipid profile in type 2 diabetes – The TOSCA.IT study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2016 Apr 16. pii: S0939-4753(15)30259-3. doi: 10.1016/j.numecd.2016.04.006. [Epub ahead of print]
• Gallo M, Gentile L, Romano G, Clemente G, a nome del Gruppo Diabete e Tumori di AMD. La gestione del diabete nel paziente oncologico: risultati della survey AMD. The Journal of AMD 2016;19(3):179-185
• Felice Strollo, MD, Prof.1*; Giuseppina Guarino, MD2; Vincenzo Armentano, MD3; Gennaro Clemente, MD4; Emilia Martedì, MD5; Stefano de Riu, MD6; Iole Gaeta, MD3; Gerardo Corigliano, MD7; Antonio Ceriello, MD, Prof.8; Sandro Gentile, MD, Prof.2 on behalf of AMD-OSDI Italian Study Group on Injection Techniques: Unexplained Hypoglycaemia and Large Glycaemic Variability: Skin Lipohypertrophy as a Predictive Sign. Diabetes Research vol 2: Issue 1 http://dx.doi.org/10.17140/DROJ-2-126
• Corona, CB. Giorda, D. Cucinotta, P.Guida, E. Nada, G. Clemente* and the SUBITO-DE Study Group*: “Sexual dysfunction in type 2 diabetes at diagnosis: progression over time and drug and non-drug correlated factors” Plos one 2016 Oct 5;11(10)
• Vitale M, Vaccaro O, Masulli M, Bonora E, Del Prato S, Giorda CB, Nicolucci A, Squatrito S, Auciello S, Babini AC, Bani L, Buzzetti R, Cannarsa E, Cignarelli M, Cigolini M, Clemente G et al: Polyphenol intake and cardiovascular risk factors in a population with type 2 diabetes: The TOSCA.IT study. Clin Nutr. 2016 Nov 14. pii: S0261-5614(16)31316-4. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2016.11.002. [Epub ahead of print]
• Vitale M, Masulli M, Rivellese AA, Bonora E, Cappellini F, Nicolucci A, Squatrito S, Antenucci D, Barrea A, Bianchi C, Bianchini F, Fontana L, Fornengo P, Giorgino F, Gnasso A, Mannucci E, Mazzotti A, Nappo R, Palena AP, Pata P, Perriello G, Potenziani S, Radin R, Ricci L, Romeo F, Santini C, Scarponi M, Serra R, Timi A, Turco AA, Vedovato M, Zavaroni D, Grioni S, Riccardi G, Vaccaro O; IT Study Group. Collaborators (Clemente G): Dietary intake and major food sources of polyphenols in people with type 2 diabetes: The TOSCA.IT Study. Eur J Nutr. 2016 Dec 21. doi: 10.1007/s00394-016-1355-1. [Epub ahead of print]
• Dr Olga Vaccaro, MD*, Maria Masulli, PhD*, Antonio Nicolucci, MD, Prof Enzo Bonora, MD, Prof Stefano Del Prato, MD, Aldo P Maggioni, MD, Prof Angela A Rivellese, MD, Prof Sebastiano Squatrito, MD, Carlo B Giorda, MD, Prof Giorgio Sesti, MD, Prof Raffaella Buzzetti, MD, Gennaro Clemente, MD et Al, Prof Gabriele Riccardi, MD for the Thiazolidinediones Or Sulfonylureas Cardiovascular Accidents Intervention Trial (TOSCA.IT) study group† under the mandate of the Italian Diabetes Society: Effects on the incidence of cardiovascular events of the addition of pioglitazone versus sulfonylureas in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin (TOSCA.IT): a randomised, multicentre trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017 Sep 12. pii: S2213-8587(17)30317-0. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30317-0. [Epub ahead of print]
• Clemente G, Giorgini M, Mancini M, Gallo M; AMD-Associazione Medici Diabetologi ‘Diabetes and Cancer’ working group. Diabetologists and Oncologists attitudes towards treating in the oncologic patients: Insight from an exploratory survey. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018 Mar 26. pii: S0168-8227(17)31592-9. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2018.02.044. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
• Clemente a,*, M. Gallo b, M. Giorgini c, On behalf of the AMD – Associazione Medici Diabetologi ‘‘Diabetes and Cancer” working group: Modalities for assessing the nutritional status in patients with diabetes and cancer. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018 Aug;142:162-172. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2018.05.039. Epub 2018 May 30
• Vitale M, Masulli M, Calabrese I, Rivellese AA, Bonora E, Signorini S, Perriello G, Squatrito S, Buzzetti R, Sartore G, Babini AC, Gregori G, Giordano C, Clemente G, Grioni S, Dolce P, Riccardi G, Vaccaro O; TOSCA.IT Study Group: Impact of a Mediterranean Dietary Pattern and Its Components on Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Glucose Control, and Body Weight in People with Type 2 Diabetes: A Real-Life Study. Nutrients. 2018 Aug 10;10(8). pii: E1067. doi: 10.3390/nu10081067.
A complete list of publications can be consulted within the CV di Gennaro Clemente