He holds a degree in Literature (“Ca’ Foscari” University in Venice), a master’s in Anthropology of Development and Social Transformation (University of Sussex) and a PhD in the Anthropology and Epistemology of Complexity (University of Bergamo). He is currently a researcher at CNR-IRPPS. He has lectured in Cultural Anthropology and the Anthropology of Migration at the University of Bologna and taught as guest lecturer at the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance. Before joining the CNR, he was a visiting researcher at the UN University Institute on Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS, Belgium). He has also served as a project officer for humanitarian associations, national institutions and international organizations, including the Italian Ministry of Labour and Social Policy (IT) and International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD, Austria). More recently he worked as vice-coordinator of a reception centre for asylum seekers in Bolzano (2015-2016).
He carries out ethnographic fieldwork and desk research, mainly in Italy and Senegal, largely in the following areas: transnationalism and migration (identity and globalization, imaginary/imagination, diversity, multiculturalism); the nexus between migration and development (co-development, migrant associationism, cultural tourism); migration, asylum and integration policies in host countries (social policy, representation and public sphere, cultures of migration), mobility and processes of regional integration (e.g. EU, ECOWAS, SADC). He is author and co-author of several publications in edited volumes and peer-reviewed journals (e.g. Regions & Cohesion; Urban Anthropology, Cahiers d’Études Africaines, Ethnography and Qualitative Research, Mondi Migranti, La Ricerca Folklorica, Ethnorema).
Papers (peer-review journals)
- 2017. “Imagining greener pastures? Shifting perceptions of Europe and mobility within contemporary Senegal. A diachronic grounded perspective”, In Journal of Ethnography and Qualitative Research (in publication; first author, co-authored with B. Riccio)
- 2015. “Analyzing Intra-regional Migration in Sub-Saharan Africa. Statistical Data Constraints and the role for Regional Organizations” In Regions and Cohesion, vol. 5 (2), pp. 77-113 (first author, co-authored with P. De Lombaerde, S. Nita e E. Legovini);
- 2015. “Indésirables and undocumented. Politiche, spazi di contenimento e costruzione della soggettività migrante nei paesi dell’EU”. In La Ricerca Folklorica, n.67-68, pp. 303-306;
- 2014. “Victims of their fantasies or heroes for a day? Media representations, local history and daily narratives on the migrations piroguières from Senegal”. In Cahiers d’Études Africaines, LIV(1-2), 213-214, pp. 81-113;
- “Senegalese Migrants in Italy. Beyond the Assimilation/Transnationalism Divide”. In Journal of Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development – Special issue on “Sub-Saharan African Transnational Migration to Europe and the U.S”, n. 42, pp. 207-354 (co-authored with B. Riccio);
- 2011. “Turismo e immaginari migratori. Esperienze dell’Altrove nel Senegal urbano”, In Archivio Antropologico del Mediterraneo, XII/XIII, n. 13 (1), pp. 67-83;
- Book chapters
- 2017. “Processi d’integrazione e rappresentazioni sociali tra migranti e operatori di polizia”, in C. Bonifazi Migrazioni e Integrazioni oggi, pubblicazioni IRPPS
- 2015. “Has South Africa the Spine for Global Leadership?”. In S. Kingah and C. Quiliconi, Global and Regional Leadership of Brics Countries, Springer Press: 209-224 (co-authored with S. Kingah);
- 2014. “Culture delle Migrazioni”, In B. Riccio, Antropologia e Migrazioni, CISU, 21-33;
- “Immigrazione e Teatro. Incontro culturale tra un immigrato senegalese e la società italiana, coltivato nel terreno della narrazione teatrale”. In Narrare l’incontro con culture dell’immigrazione. Memorie familiari, pratiche alimentari ed espressioni artistiche, Torino, L’Harmattan Italia, pp. 111-152.
- Translations (from IT to ENG)
- 2014 Chagnon N., Tribù pericolose. La mia vita tra gli Yanomamö e gli antropologi, Milano, Il Saggiatore, pp. 512. [Original title: Noble Savage. My life among two dangerous tribes – the Yanomamo and the Anthropologists di Napoleon Chagnon – 2013]